Project

General

Profile

Project Team Meetings » History » Version 23

« Previous - Version 23/31 (diff) - Next » - Current version
Corinna Gries, 05/09/2014 12:13 PM


Project Team Meetings

next meeting

5/9/2014

Syd, Matt, Scott, Corinna

Syd and Scott at ASU working with Julie:
late breaking poster for ESA
8 Konza datasets
7 Sev datasets
richness, timelag,
comparing taxa at same site
grass community is changing, not so much creosote; composition is changing, not so much richness
not many community datasets at LTER sites
VCR small mammals are not usable
not as extensive a comparison as originally hoped
Konza data show tipping point with shrub encroachment

characteristics of datasets:
multiple communities at one site, producers, consumers

4/4/2014

Scott, Matt, Corinna, Syd

Scott and Syd going to ASU end of April to work with Julie

Syd: report from last group call
larger group participated, decided that each working group should meet separately
group 1: Syd, Julie, Eric
Eric posted diversity metrics on github
challenge: choose the metrics
datasets: how will they be chosen
plant community dataset, annually sampled, plus insect community dataset, or small mammal community - multiple datasets from the same sites, annually sampled. Limitation is co-location of datasets. SEV, KNZ, JRN, maybe VCR

Matt: discussion with Ben and Lauren where to go with the repository. Initially a web interface to drop things and search and find. Next step is to access them within the working environment (R, Kepler).

3/19/2014

Scott, Matt, Corinna

Annual report: Scott has submitted
reconvene the workshop group to continue work on papers. Possibly with ISEES meeting: possibly September 2 - 4 followed by commdyn workshop: September 5 - 7

Action items:
Matt to write up and circulate specifications for Ben to work on starting in May, 2014, based on recommendations from the workshop
collaboration tool to share workflows should work across platforms, not only Kepler

Corinna send thank you e-mail to workshop participants.
Corinna move everything from redmine to github.

set up times for paper working groups to meet online. Start with the one Syd already initiated, then follow with other groups.
set up structure in github for the four groups.

2/27/2014

Scott, Matt, Syd, Corinna

Possibly have a follow up workshop in September together with ISEES meeting in Santa Barbara
Important to keep the good momentum going for the different working groups that have started.

Syd:
write e-mail to remind everyone of what we agreed to do.

2/13/2014

Scott, Matt, Corinna

Discussion of the workshop outcomes.

11/22/2013

Scott, Syd, Corinna

Workshop preparation: What to ask people to do in preparation for attending:
bring a dataset - multi species and multi sampling
how do you want to analyze your data
bring R code if available
What questions can be asked across several datasets of different taxonomic groups and habitats

Syd:
list of indices that we already have identified on this website
R code to handle the four example datasets

Corinna:
Kepler workflow to access the data via EML and pass on a R dataframe
Or R code accessing datasets in DataONE

10/11/2013

Matt, Scott, Corinna

plans for the workshop:

treat part of the workshop as hackathon, combine ecologists, R specialist, and workflow specialist in groups to actually implement an analysis.

Data sets: people should bring their data sets.

Syd to find appropriate data sets and give feedback on how to find them.

goals of workshop:

list of analyses, list of data sets, what is need to move from raw data to analyses and visualization.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZm2NvfJ87OdFlBdWRQMkNwWnpCT3FkcEJDb2gtZ0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

9/17/2013

Matt, Scott, Syd, Sam, Corinna

Started list of potential invitees for the workshop in google docs.

8/27/2013

Matt, Scott, Syd, Sam, Corinna

reports:
Matt is still trying to hire a programmer
Corinna announced project at LTER IM meeting and got several responses regarding datasets available. Specifically GCE, LUQ, and VCR
Syd has started R programming for some community change indeces

workshop planning:
start document for goals, participants and agenda

action items:
Corinna start document for workshop planning
Syd and Sam communicate about R routines for data manipulation
Syd and Scot get names of datasets from SEV and KNZ to Corinna
Corinna and Sam work with Kristin and Adam to get EML for those datasets

6/13/2013

Matt, Scott, Syd, Sam, Corinna

Agenda
Action items from last meeting
Scott - report from the Science Council meeting re. datasets
Matt - intro to project management system and start of tracking Community Change indices
Corinna - start list of participants for first workshop at NCEAS

Notes
Scott announced the project at the LTER Science Council meeting
Important to remember is that we have support to clean data and document them in EML. We are not expecting the information managers at other sites to add this to their tasks. We can take datasets that have at least 10 data points at even time intervals.

Action items:
Matt: add functionality to this project management system to track datasets from a general idea of its existence to actually being in the NIS/DataONE
Corinna: start adding Community Change indices from the proposal to redmine.

5/2/2013

Matt, Syd, Corinna

Today we filled Syd in a bit on her role in the project and talked some more about the first workshop in spring 2014.

Action items:
Corinna - doodle for the community workshop in February/March and set date
Syd - download and explore Kepler
Scott and Syd - start list of community change metrics that we want to encode
Matt - hire programmer

Next project team meeting: 6/13/2013 1 pm MDT