kepler-1.0.0beta3.exe not finding valid java install
firstly there is no 1.0.0.beta3 category.
secondly, the installer with out the jvm, http://kepler-project.org/dist/kepler-1.0.0beta3.exe
does not detect my valid java 6 install
"could not find a valid java virtual machine to load"
C:\Documents and Settings\ran110>java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
C:\Documents and Settings\ran110>echo JAVA_HOME
the kepler.bat works fine.
#1 Updated by Matt Jones almost 12 years ago
I updated your bug to 1.0.0beta3 -- thanks for pointing out the omission.
We have not yet tested against Java 1.6. We only recently decided to move our test builds off of Java 1.4.2 and onto Java 1.5. I'll reassign this to Dan Higgins as he's built all of our installers.
#2 Updated by Dan Higgins almost 12 years ago
This appears to be a problem with the rather old version of InstallAnywhere used to build the installer. (Too old to recognize Java 1.6?).
I suggest we look into other installers for future releases (as Ptolemy has).
A work around is simply to use the installer that includes a java jre (1.5). This has a slight size penalty, but should not intefer with a 1.6 java sdk on the same machine.
#3 Updated by Dan Higgins almost 12 years ago
I thought that the installer may just be having a hard time finding Java 1.6 and that this could be fixed by modifying the *.lax file that contains parameters used by InstallAnywhere. The path to the Java 1.6 jre that is there appears to be correct! The *.exe,however, still reports that it cannot find Java. Thus it appears that there is something built into the InstallAnywhere code that will not work with Java 1.6.
#4 Updated by Terry Rankine almost 12 years ago
I actually have the following installed via java's installer engines (complete with reg keys etc)
the jdk1.6 installer installed both the jdk and the jre.
The jre1.4.2 was installed as is.
So even though I have 1.4, I have set 1.6 to the default via java_home and my path variable.
for now i am happy just to use the bat file, it works fine