Project

General

Profile

Bug #3991

large workflow errors

Added by Oliver Soong about 10 years ago. Updated almost 10 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Category:
general
Target version:
Start date:
04/20/2009
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Bugzilla-Id:
3991

Description

I have a large workflow (both.xml) that seems to be generating these errors:

Unable to parse the MetaData: null

The selected Entity in momol cound't [sic] be found

Error encountered in: <property name="endpoint" class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute" value="http://ecogrid.ecoinformatics.org/knb/services/QueryService">
null

The error is not always the same, and is sometimes one and sometimes another. It seems to occur more frequently under 1.x dev than under 1.0.0. Running Kepler after cleaning the cache or switching between 1.0.0 and trunk seems to sometimes but not always trigger it. The problem seems to be diminished on linux but does seem to occur. Running Kepler with -Dmax=1024m does not seem to fix the problem in Windows, but seems to help in linux.

Separating the composite actors into individual workflows, rain.xml and buffalo.xml, seems to isolate the errors to buffalo.xml, but seems to make them less consistent and more intermittent.

Some of the buffalo data is publicly accessible and some is not, so the example workflows will generate permission errors. The workflows do point only to the accessible tables and should run, but the errors are thrown, regardless.

In addition, while investigating, I have been inconsistently getting startup errors under Windows. I suspect they might be due to my starting Kepler too soon after closing it, after it returns to the command prompt but before it truly closes. One error is about failing to parse -kepler. I seem to recall this may have something to do with Kepler not being able to open some database or other, but there are no other instances of Kepler visibly open this time.

I have also seen an error on startup about the user library not being available.

large workflows.zip (84.9 KB) large workflows.zip Oliver Soong, 04/20/2009 12:18 PM

History

#1 Updated by Oliver Soong about 10 years ago

both.xml: The large workflow with 2 composite actors
rain.xml: One composite actor alone
buffalo.xml: The other composite actor alone

#2 Updated by ben leinfelder about 10 years ago

yikes! that's a lot of memory.
rain.xml seems to open (eventually) for me.

Looking into the "Unable to parse the MetaData: null" associated with http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/knb/metacat/judithk.304.13/sanparks

already a ticket about the permissions errors

#3 Updated by ben leinfelder about 10 years ago

I cleared the cache and tried opening the workflows (first the parts, then the whole).
It opens - sure there are tons of stacktraces zooming by the console - and only displays the expected data permission errors.
While "ant clean-cache" isn't the best "solution" - it may work for you.

#4 Updated by ben leinfelder about 10 years ago

this needs to be fixed if it remains a problem - retargeting to 2.0

#5 Updated by ben leinfelder almost 10 years ago

Just tried it on trunk suite=wrp and was able to open the large ('both.xml') workflow.
When I ran it I got a provenance exception (unrelated to this bug).
When I ran it a second time with provenance disabled I was able to run it fine (with a non-fatal reporting error in the console because provenance was turned off).

#6 Updated by Redmine Admin over 6 years ago

Original Bugzilla ID was 3991

Also available in: Atom PDF