Project

General

Profile

Bug #453

Update itislib functionality to use new information

Added by Dan Higgins over 17 years ago. Updated about 17 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
morpho - general
Target version:
Start date:
04/05/2002
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Bugzilla-Id:
453

Description

calls to the Itis Canada database now have new information in the response (e.g.
multiple taxons returned with common name, synonyms, etc. We should enable
Morpho to use this additional information (e.g synonyms based on common names)

History

#1 Updated by Jing Tao about 17 years ago

itislib modul was download from cvs and "ant install". Type "./itislib Ursus"
it works well. But if type"./itislib bison", I gave a null pointer exception.
It is figured out that in main method of Itis class, there is no code to
handle a taxon is null.

Then I updated xerces in this modul by deleting xerces.jar and adding
xercesImpl.jar and xml-apis.jar from Morpho. The code is compatable to new
version of xerces. Currently, the version of xerces in itislib modul is 2.1.0.

Then put the new itislib.jar to morpho. The only difference to old version is
the new one has some code to handle null taxon in main method in Itis class.

#2 Updated by Matt Jones about 17 years ago

Jing, did you test if the new version fixes the synonym search problems in
Morpho? For example, does it find packages that list species X in
taxonomicCoverage even when you only search for Species Y (which is a synonym of
X in ITIS)? If so, then please go ahead and close this bug again.

#3 Updated by Jing Tao about 17 years ago

I got one species "Pelvetia canaliculata" and it has a synonym "Fucus
canaliculatus" in ITIS.

I create two new packages. One I put "Pelvetia canaliculata" in data set xml:
dataset/taxonomicCov/taxoncl/taxonrv and put "Species" in
dataset/taxonomicCov/taxoncl/taxonrn. The other one I put "Fucus
canaliculatus" in data set xml:
dataset/taxonomicCov/taxoncl/taxonrv and put "Species" in
dataset/taxonomicCov/taxoncl/taxonrn.

Then I took a taxonomic search for "Pelvetia canaliculata" and I got both of
them. So ITISLIB.jar workes fine.

Last time I said it didn't work, is because I put the species name in the
title. It is a wrong palace :)

#4 Updated by Redmine Admin over 6 years ago

Original Bugzilla ID was 453

Also available in: Atom PDF