Project

General

Profile

Bug #5487

blank modules.txt files created for non-suite modules

Added by Derik Barseghian over 7 years ago. Updated about 6 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
module manager
Target version:
Start date:
09/08/2011
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Bugzilla-Id:
5487

Description

Tomasz Zok reported a bug with invalid modules listed in the Module Manager Gui after patching a released module, and then kepler crashing after attempting to use a patched suite.
It's described here:
http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-dev/2011-August/019824.html
http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-dev/2011-September/019836.html

I commited Sean's fix for the bug to module-manager-gui at r28451.

We should issue a 2.2 module-manager-gui patch for this issue since people have already put work into making 2.2 add-ons.

History

#1 Updated by Derik Barseghian over 7 years ago

I'm still seeing this problem with Sean's change at r28451.
To replicate edit your Kepler-2.2 app's module-manager configuration.xml to point at the test-releases area. Restart. Accept the patches. Kepler restarts. Open MM Gui, you'll see truncated modules names.

#2 Updated by Derik Barseghian over 7 years ago

Ok, this problem can still manifest when a module's published zip file contains a blank modules.txt.

Some part of the build system can erroneously create blank module.txt files in non-suite modules.

Also note that when a published module's module-info/ directory contains a blank modules.txt file, this does not cause the bug, but does cause the (non-suite) module to show up as an Available Suite in the Module Manager GUI, which is not something you want.

#3 Updated by Derik Barseghian over 7 years ago

The bug also occurs on the first startup of kepler after getting a patched suite that refers to other modules using carets. An example is first startup after receiving module-manager-gui-2.2.1. I don't know why.

Incidentally, I noticed that module-manager-gui-2.2.0's modules.txt refers to modules without using carets:
common-2.2.0
module-manager-2.2.0
configuration-manager-2.2.0
kepler-tasks-2.2.0
ptolemy-kepler-2.2.0

I don't know if this was accidental or intentional.This means that the standalone module manager gui will not utilize patches to these modules, unless it itself is patched to change its modules.txt to use carets. Since this seems bad, I've changed to using carets with module-manager-gui-2.2.1 and beyond:

common-2.2.^
module-manager-2.2.^
configuration-manager-2.2.^
kepler-tasks-2.2.^
ptolemy-kepler-2.2.^

#4 Updated by Derik Barseghian over 7 years ago

I've issued the patch with module-manager-gui-2.2.1. at r28583.
The issues in comment 3 and 4 should still be fixed for 2.4.

#5 Updated by Ilkay Altintas almost 7 years ago

Needs to be tested and evaluated at the end of release cycle.

#6 Updated by jianwu jianwu about 6 years ago

The modules.txt files in Kepler 2.4 release candidates have correct carets and I didn't see empty modules.txt files for other modules. I also tried with suite and module patches and didn't see any problems. Closing the bug.

#7 Updated by Redmine Admin about 6 years ago

Original Bugzilla ID was 5487

Also available in: Atom PDF