Provide real-time feedback/animation for workflow progress as a default
Currently, one can set the workflow to show progress for SDF and some other
types of directors. Request is to make this the default (i.e. always show
progress). This may be difficult for PN networks.
#2 Updated by Christopher Brooks almost 13 years ago
This relates to animation, that was discussed on kepler-dev about a week ago.
A couple of notes, which are my personal opinions, not nessarily the positions
of the group:
- "Feedback" means something specific in block diagrams and control system:
systems that are cyclic as opposed to acyclic. So, we should be careful
in the UI about using the term "feedback". I took the liberty of
adding "animation" to the summary.
- Providing visual feedback to the user about progress is very valuable.
We talked about providing feedback about how much data has been downloaded
by a DataSource actor. This issue is probably a separate bug.
- We would need to be careful about enabling animation all the time.
For example, if an actor fires a million times, what do we do? This could
slow execution down. Thus, I'm not sure if bug should be fixed by
turning animation on full time.
- Currently, animation does not work for PN. This should be fixed.
Is this a separate bug?
- Perhaps we can be smarter about what happens when when animation is turned on
and we go inside a CompositeActor. Perhaps we could have something like
"step over"/"step inside" in the animation control window. Is this a
request for enhancement?